Thursday, February 24, 2022

Perfect English Grammar

Several students have asked me when to use infinitive with to, without to or gerund after another verb. The problem is that in most cases there is no explanation. It's just because.

Of course, we know we mustn't use to after auxiliary verbs (with the exception of ought to), but that's about it.

Besides, there are verbs that can be followed by both infinitive and gerund, and in some cases the meaning changes. Look at the examples below:

- I remembered to do my homework and the teacher was very pleased. (I didn't forget)

- I remember playing with my sister when we were little. (a memory)

And one more thing: remember that to let and to make are followed by infinitive without to:

- My parents don't let me go out after ten. I'm so fed up!

- She made me tell her what I knew about George and when I did she started crying.


The link below will take you to some exercises, but there are more on the same page:

https://www.perfect-english-grammar.com/gerunds-and-infinitives-exercise-1.html

 

I hope this helps.


 

6 comments:

  1. What I struggle with is, more than remembering which verb is followed by "to", "infinitive" or "-ing form" is when using and infinitive or an "-ing" form after "to". I guess it is a matter of use more than a rule. Recently, I've read someone's publication telling that after a verb + to if you can replace what comes afterwards by "it", then you should write an "-ing" form (as it needs a noun") and if not, what you need is an infinitive. Example: "I got used to playing/it very soon." vs. "I used to play tennis."

    Do you think it works?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claudia,
      Regarding the first part of your comment: yes, there are no rules.
      And then about what you read: I've been thinking of some possible sentences and it doesn't work for me. Look: I want to eat it. Stop touching it. Anyway, I have a splitting headache so I might be wrong.
      In your example, you are using two things that are totally different. To make it simpler: the first one means (as you know) me acostumbré and the second one solía.
      I might be completely mistaken. Grammar is not my forte.

      Delete
  2. I think there are very few grammatical rules in English, that's English, we must accept it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's what I love about English. It's the language that best suits my personality.

      Delete
  3. Thanks a lot for giving us this link because I could finish the four different exercises' parts and so, I've practiced quite a lot. I answered without applying any rule, just because the answer seemed familiar and I had quite a lot right answers but as well some mistakes.. Cristina L

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Cristina. I'm glad it helped.
    A couple of corrections:
    the four different parts of the exercise (not sure that's what you mean)
    any rules
    some mistakes as well.

    ReplyDelete

See you around

Dear all, I wish I could have said bye in person, but unfortunately I'll be on sick leave till 27th May at least. I'm sorry I wasn&#...